I love sandwiches. I love the fluffy bread, decadent smears of vegan mayo, rich, garlicky tempeh, and crunchy sprouts. The best thing about this sandwich is that it comes together in minutes! It makes an excellent quick lunch or hungover morning replenishment. To make into a fuller meal, serve with your favorite soup or salad.
WHAT YOU NEED (for two sandwiches)
- 2 ciabatta rolls – rectangle or square. You can also substitute thick slices of your favorite sourdough bread.
- 1 8oz package of tempeh cut into 1/4″ thick slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- vegan mayonaise
- 1 small tomato – sliced
- salad greens or lettuce
- other optional ingredients: sprouts, cucumber slices, micro greens, sliced fresh onion, etc.
WHAT YOU DO
- Slice ciabatta rolls in half or bread loaf into thick slices. Begin toasting the slices about halfway through the tempeh cooking in a toaster, toaster oven, or a conventional oven under a low broil. You could slightly oil the bread if you want, but I think the sandwich is rich enough as is.
- Heat the olive oil and garlic in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Once garlic begins to sizzle, add the tempeh and coriander.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until tempeh begins to brown, flip, and cook other side until it browns.
- Add tamari and reduce heat to medium low to prevent burning. Flip tempeh to ensure even absorption of the tamari.
- Smear desired about of vegan mayo onto the top half of ciabatta rolls.
- Place tempeh on the bottom half of ciabatta rolls. Evenly top with tomato slices then greens then sprouts (if using).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Press the two sandwich halves together and slice the sandwich in half on a diagonal.