Num Num Nummmm!!! That’s all I have to say about this Benedict. Just kidding, it’s not 😉 I made this recipe up years ago to try to impress a breakfast date and it was a total success! Now that I’ve become older, smarter, and a way better cook, I’ve added this hollandaze sauce to juice up the meal. Serve this to your hungover friends or beaming mother to win their true love and devotion.
WHAT YOU NEED (serves 4)
For the Tempeh Scramble
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional but excellent)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 8oz package tempeh, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sliced black olives (you can substitute kalamata olives or no olives if you want)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons tamari or Bragg’s
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- Fried potatoes, fruit, and mimosas for serving.
For the Basil Hollandaze
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter/olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond. Cashew would be great, too)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine (keep the bottle open for mixing with orange juice!)
- 1/4 teaspoon light miso (optional)
WHAT YOU DO
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the red onion and crushed red pepper and cook until onion is softened and lightly browned.
- Add garlic, marjoram, and tarragon and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add tempeh and saute for about two minutes. Using the back of your spoon, crumble half of the tempeh.
- Add tomatoes, black olives, tomato paste, tamari, red wine vinegar,
- Stir to combine and add the spinach.
- Turn heat down to medium low and allow flavors to combine and the spinach to wilt.
- Keep warm on the stove until ready to assemble.
Now make the Basil Hollandaze!
- Place the non-dairy milk, cornstarch, and turmeric in a small bowl or measuring cup and whisk with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter/oil over medium heat.
- Add the basil and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the milk mixture, turn the heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, white wine, and miso.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Keep on the stove on low while you toast the English muffins.
- Halve the English muffins and toast them in a toaster or toaster oven.
- Place a healthy scoop of tempeh scramble on each half of the muffins.
- Top with a dollop of Basil Hollandaze
- Garnish with a sprig of something green (parsley, basil, spinach chiffonade etc.)
- Serve with mimosas and fried potatoes or fruit!