Speaking of Busy Babes, that’s been me lately. Since I’ve come home from Spain I’ve been tossed into some big life changes. Boyfriend and I broke up and are in the process of moving him out of our apartment which is very time and emotionally consuming. I’ve also been signing myself up to work as much as possible and finding every excuse to avoid spending time alone in my tear stained abode which also means not typing on my laptop…
Butt fear not! Here I am with another delicious recipe to help you and me get on with our business.
All of this sadness and upheaval has really done a number on my usually voracious appetite. I haven’t felt much like eating or cooking and when I do, the simpler the better. I’ve been very thankful for this delicious and AMAZINGLY SIMPLE Busy Babe Quinoa Breakfast! Crunchy walnuts and satisfying quinoa provide clean protein and sweet berries deliver cancer-fighting antioxidants! What more could you want? It is also easily toted around for a quick snack during a bustling Busy Babe day. We certainly don’t want anyone getting hangry eh?
I originally came up with this recipe while doing Nicholas Schnell’s Four Winds Holistic Cleanse. The diet part of the cleanse is pretty straightforward and involves eating mostly-vegan-non-processed-gluten-free-liver-healing-alkalizing foods. I highly recommend this two week cleanse if you’re ready to push the “restart” button or just want to treat yourself to some TLC. While I was doing the cleanse I wanted something quick and easy to have for breakfast that would keep in the fridge for a couple of days and also function as an emergency snack. Here’s what I came up with! It is gluten free, uses agave nectar or maple syrup for a low-glycemic sweetener (sugar is forbidden), apple cider vinegar, and some health-ass fruits and nuts. Nothing but health here, folks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
WHAT YOU NEED (3-4 servings)
- 1 cup quinoa – rinsed thoroughly
- 2 cups water
- 1 apple (your favorite varietal) cored and diced into bite-sized pieces. (peeling optional)
- 1 cup blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, black berries, or any combination of your favorite berries.
- 1 cup walnuts – coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Dash of salt (just a lil bit!)
WHAT YOU DO
- Cook the quinoa by adding the rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of water to a small sauce pan fitted with a lid. Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and cook until all of the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is translucent.
- While the quinoa is cooking chop up the apple and walnuts and place them in a large bowl with the berries.
- Mix the agave, vinegar, lemon juice, and dash of salt in a small bowl.
- After the quinoa is done cooking, set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the quinoa is mostly cooled (it doesn’t have to be completely cool, just not hot), mix in all other ingredients.
- Taste for flavor. Some folks might like it more sweet or more vinegary so just add more sweetener or vinegar to your tastes.
- Enjoy and congratulate yourself eating something other than chips today!